And the correct answer to the Touchdown! puzzle was…
THE LUCKY HORSESHOE! This Bernal Heights sports bar is a great place to watch a football game–or just grab a drink with good friends. Don’t like sports or beer? There’s also live music, karaoke, and bingo night.
In this puzzle, you needed to figure out the names of the teams, as well as each team’s “signature play,” which was always an anagram of the team name. They were as follows:
- NARROW SPARROWS – PRAWNS OR ARROWS
- COMBAT WOMBATS – SWAB MAC BOTTOM
- FOUL OWLS – FOLLOW US
- VAIN CRANES- ARSENIC VAN
- IDEAL SEALS – ALLIED SEAS
- VILE CROCODILE – SOLVED LICORICE
- BONY PONIES – NEON BIOPSY
- DRAB CRAB – CARD BARBS
- WIDER SPIDERS – RIDERS SWIPED
In the pictures, you needed to figure out the locations of the football players and of the football itself. The football players spelled out the names of the plays, one letter per football player. Tracing the path of the football spelled out a clue to the two team names for the final playoff: “Warm Babous vs. Lively Snood Birds,” — that is, the HOT OCELOTS vs. the PERKY TURKEYS.
The mascots provided a cryptogram, whose answer hinted at the five plays in the big game:
- Insolent Texas Hold ‘Em Audition Window (CHEEKY POKER TRYOUTS SLOT)
- Small-Minded Debauchers Stole the Shared Heavens (PETTY LECHERS TOOK OUR SKY)
- Unsettling, Wacky Spacecraft Decomposes (CREEPY KOOKY SHUTTLE ROTS)
- What Attractive Drawings You Have! (YOUR SKETCHES LOOK PRETTY)
- One’s Veterinary B&B Is Suddenly Very Successful (YOUR PET HOTEL SKYROCKETS)
Tracing out the path of the football in this final five plays will spell out the final answer: THE LUCKY HORSESHOE.
This week’s Fastest Solver was DavidSteinAndFriends, followed by The Stanford Turtle Curlers in second and Team Ikarem in third! Congratulations!
Also, Tyler was our lucky random T-shirt winner this week! Congrats!
And with that….this week’s puzzle is live, Cuter Baby Animals! Good luck and happy solving! Remember, for this week only, all teams will receive an effective solve time of 00:00 for purposes of the leaderboard.
Also, this season of Mission Street Puzzles will be ending at the end of September, with our last puzzle released on Sept. 27th! But don’t worry, we’ll be back with Season 2 on Feb. 7, 2018. Mark your calendars!
Note: The Lucky Horseshoe is not affiliated with Mission Street Puzzles in any way.